Sunday, December 28, 2008

12.28 // russia, revolutions, top hats, golden hollywood, and pink floyd

last night was ridiculously windy, I got about 4 hours of sleep. Blechh. Anyway...
More on the whole Russian theme. It just so happens that I went down to run on the treadmill (ick - I despise them, but it was necessary, what with the 50 mph winds and all), as I was flipping through the channels I landed on the History channel which - lo and behold - was showing a special on the last czar (or tsar). It didn't have much in the way of clothes, but it got me thinking and I'm quite glad that I'm not either (a) a Russian serf in the early 1900s or (b) a Russian royal in the early 1900s. Either way, you were screwed - starve or get shot & burned in acid.
Fun, eh?
I wouldn't mind living here for 1/4 of the year, though... the Winter Palace, home to the Russian ruling family since Peter III, one of - if not the - most opulent and famous buildings in Russia.http://www.mikegrehan.com/images/winter-palace-night.jpg

http://www.theodora.com/wfb/photos/russia/main_staicase_winter_palace_st_petersburg_russia_photo_gov.jpghttp://stpetersburg-guide.com/images/pics/winterpalace.jpg
WP2http://colleenandfrank.com/images/Albums/Travel/st_pete/Winter_Palace/Malachite_Room_2.jpg
yeah, in Marty's (famous?) words, "I could hang here... this place is cracka-lakkin'!" (Does anyone actually know how to spell that?)
Anyway. I'm having a little trouble coming up with good pictures of traditional Russian dresses and whatnot, let alone the Tsarina's dresses (the ridiculously expensive ones). I really want/need to dig around and find more on Russian culture, dress, etc... don't mind me if I'm sounding like a history nerd, but I think it's cool. :P
After that came on (was it revolution week or something?) an episode about the French Revolution, but that started to get a bit too guillotine-y for me... plus, I needed to shower. At any rate I started thinking about Marie Antoinette, too. But I'll save her for another day, another post.
One more related thing: I'm going to start researching other traditional outfits - you know, the Victorian Era and all that, Greece, France, Russia... basically, Europe. Plus some Asia (middle east, japan, india).... I have a lot to do.

Next on my (title) list: top hats/Golden Age of Hollywood. We watched Holiday Inn - one of my favorite movies - and, of course, I started thinking about the 1930s and 1940s, and the GAoH. And Fred Astaire's top hat.
http://www.fadscharleston.com/images/astaire_hat.jpg
I want one.

(those aren't exactly what I'd want - a plain-ish black velvet one would suit me just fine - but they are cool, in a costume-y sort of way)
I still love hers...
On the street... rocking the tulle & tophat

If you look at what Hollywood used to be - really talented people who could do what they did best and still dress amazingly (not trashy like we see a lot of today)... *sigh*. The gowns, the gloves, the tuxes... and I can't complain about the movies. Not at all.
http://www.pleasedancewithme.com/photos/FredAstaireGingerRogersRio33_GazellesWBack.jpg
(Oh look - tulle!) Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/41/41_images/holidaybing&marjoriereynolds.jpg
I just like that look.

Last thing - Pink Floyd. I got the Division Bell cd for christmas, and love the last 2 songs especially:
Lost for Words & High Hopes (High Hopes trumps all... I've listened to it 9 times already)
Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begin

Along the long road and on down the causeway
Do they still meet there by the cut

There was a ragged band that followed in our footsteps
Running before time took our dreams away
Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground
To a life consumed by slow decay

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
With friends surrounded
The night of wonder

Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side
Steps taken forwards but sleepwalking back again
Dragged by the force of some inner tide

At a higher altitude with flag unfuried
We reached the dizzy heights of that dreamed of world

Eneumbered forever by desire and ambition
Theres a hunger still unsatisfied
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon
Though down this road weve been so many time

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river

On that note, I'm still looking for a pillbox hat. And I'm shopping tomorrow, then going to a pre-New Year's Eve party, but I'll try to post soon. Ciao,

~ r

No comments: